My brother just had surgery because he broke his ankle. The injury is still very fresh so I created a yoga set that he can do sitting on the floor with his legs straight out (pillow under the knees to soften, when needed). He can gradually change these to seated in a chair but for now the weight and shape of the cast and the recentness of the accident, it is best to keep him on an even, low level. He will be most grounded in this position.
I suggest setting a timer for each section and keeping the sections evenly timed. Try 1-5 minutes each to start.
Start with Deep Belly Breathing:
* Sit comfortably, upright but not rigid or lay down.
*Close your eyes or keep them softly focused on one object. Having an actual spot for eyes to focus on is very important as it gives a home base for the eyes when the mind wanders. You can use the tip of your nose, a spot on the wall or through closed eyes, the third eye point.
*Place your hands on your lower belly, on your legs or in your lap.
*Create your own quiet, still space inside. I call this your Inner Love-Shack.
*Inhale through your nose. Keep your mouth closed. Your belly should fill round on the inhale. Your body will feel like it is a balloon being filled up.
*Notice the pause at the end of your inhale.
*Slowly let the air out through your nose. You want the exhale to be long and gentle. Your belly will soften. If a mouth exhale is done, keep the lips slightly pursed and allow the air to seep out slowly as if you are trying to ripple a flame of a candle.
*Notice the pause at the end of the exhale.
*Repeat 3-5x or as long as you like. If your mind wanders, just pull it back to the breath and the sensation of your hands.
*When finished, sit quietly for a few moments and enjoy the stay in your Inner Love-Shack, inside and out.
- Cow/Cat: Legs out, back not against a wall/bedside, hands on knees. Close eyes and beam out through the third eye point and add in the chant “sat” Nam” or whatever resonates with you to keep a high positive vibration happening in your head and throughout your body.
- With chin moving up (cow) & down (cat)
- Without chin moving
- Breathe in open chest, lift chin, lift puppy tail
- Breathe out cat, curl forward (arch back like a halloween cat), drop chin
- Breathe in your pelvic bowl spills water out the front
- Breathe out the pelvic bowl spills water out the back
- Holding Up The Sky With One Hand (Legs out, can be gently backed up to a support) Start with hands on belly and return there on each exhale before you switch sides.
- Press down with one hand to keep the floor from coming up.
- Press up the sky with the lower palm on the other hand.
- Breathe in as you stretch up & open; breathe out as you, bring the energy to your power belly and change sides.
Holding Up the Sky With Two Hands
- Start with both hands on lower belly
- Breathe in as the hands travel up.
- Stretch up over head, with both hands, from the lower palm.
- Breathe out, hands return to belly.
- Stealth Ninja (Legs out, body slightly pulled away from support, so that hand can snake behind)
- Press one hand forward near your shoulder and chin, to ward off an attacker. It has the sensation of being propelled in that direction.
- At the same time, look over the opposite shoulder, as if to check behind you.
- The other hand is behind the back reaching in in the same direction the head is facing. Your body is moving in one direction and you are looking over the other shoulder while at the same time the back hand is reaching as if to grab a friend’s hand
- Hip Circles (legs out, support under knees advised, hands on knees)
- Move hips around in a circular motion in one direction, like an old fashioned coffee grinder
- Repeat in the other direction.
- Hands behind on the floor
- Lift chest and lean back.
- Head can drop behind, but keep chest lifting and open and back strong.
- Forward Fold
- Fold forward but have knees comfortably bent
- The “goal” is belly to thighs; knees bent more will facilitate this
- Square Breathing
- Breathe in (count 4/5/6/7/8…your choice)
- Hold same amount
- Breathe out same amount
- Hold the same amount.
- 4 Cycle Breath
- In/Out nose
- In/Out mouth
- In nose/Out mouth
- In mouth/Out nose.