I was inspired to create a chair yoga sequence with the aim to create healing energy for realignment physically, mentally and emotionally for a friend of mine, who is recovering from a Tibial Plateau Fracture . Not only does a physical injury throw the body out of physical alignment, like the game Topple where every little shift away from center creates the need for the body to readjust itself to be balanced. The left compensates for the right, the right compensates for the left and back and forth it goes. Like in the game, though if too much weight is shifted to one side, it topples over. In the human body, this can lead to other injuries, depression and general deterioration of health.
Yoga’s goal is to balance body, mind and spirit. It uses various modalities to affect the positive effect on the physical body, the emotional state, the state of consciousness and the energetic impression , but not solely through postures that are often unattainable for injured, stiff, elderly and physically disabled persons. I realize one of my gifts, is to help bring movement and balance back to these bodies, inside and out. I feel my yoga creates a safe space for healing, flying, dancing….wholesome goodness to create a pathway for self-healing.
The Sequence (click here for video of the sequence)
- 5-Minute Breathing (each section 1 min; between each section, release the nostrils and breath deeply several times with both nostrils):
- Breathe only with the left nostril (male, calming). Block of the right gently.
- Breathe only with the right nostril (female, fiery). Block the left gently.
- Breathe in with the left and out with the right, only.
- Breathe on with the right and out with the left, only.
- Alternate Nostril Breathing: In with the left, out with the right; in with the right, out with the left
- If you have trouble inhaling or exhaling, with a finger, gently lift the area on your face, near the cheekbone, on the same side as the nostril. Lifting that area can open the sinus passage and allow for freer breath. You can notice this in the accompanying video of the sequence. Before beginning the next exercise, take a moment to make sure your feet are aligned properly-big toes slightly in so that the outer edge of the foot is parallel with the outer edge of the mat. Feel the triangle beneath the foot between the pads of the big and little toes and the center of the heel. Notice that the knees should follow the same line created between the second and third toes.
- Spinal Flex (2-3 min)
- Suffi Grind/Coffee Grinder, both directions (2-2 min)
- Side Twists/Washing Machine (2 min)
- Shoulder Shrugs (2 min)
- Lazy Neck Rolls, both directions (1-1 min or 2-2 min)
- Alternate Leg Stretches (2 min)
- Life Nerve Stretch with Breath-of-Fire (BoF) , both sides (1-1 min or 2-2 min)
- Downward Facing Dog (2 min)
- Bridge (2 min) or 12-26 times
- Ego Eradicator w/ BoF (1-3 min)
- Healing Meditation/Rest (5 min)
- Triple Mantra by Bachan Kaur*
- Aeo (pts 1 & 2) by Brian Briggs
- Circle by Adam F.
- Expansions by Lonnie Liston Smith
- Brazilain Rhythm (Fearless Mix) by Mondo Grosso (esp. good for Breath of Fire)
- Life Is Something Special by NYC Peech Boys
- Bah Sama (Yoruba Soul Mix) (esp. good for Breath of Fire)
- Ra Ma Da Sa Sa Say So Hung by Ajjet Kaur**
*Aad Guray Nameh, Jugaad Guray Nameh Sat Guray Nameh, Siri Guroo Dayv-ay Nameh (Surrounds you with a power shield of protection)
Aad Such Jugaad Such Hai Bhee Such Nanak Hosee Bhee Such (Clears away obstacles that block your personal growth)
Aad Such Jugaad Such Hai Bhai Such Nanak Hosee Bhai Such (All obstacle remover)
**Ra Ma Da Sa, Sa Say So Hung is the healing meditation used to generate healing energy for friends, family, ourselves, the planet.