Today’s Yoga-Snack was desk bound, offering Ms. Forzaglia some in class tools to use during her very busy school days.
1. The class started seated at their desks, arms folded on the desk, heads down on the hands, eyes closed. To help them set their minds on a positive approach and outcome to anything they want in their lives. I set these intentions for the day: being more present, powerful, enthusiastic, gentle, loving, kind, fun, grateful. Each one of us is full of infinite abilities and that it is possible under any circumstances, whether you are happy, sad, hot, cold, ill, well… to achieve your intentions.
2. Sitting up, breathing in with the nose and out, stretching our arms above our heads, fingers interlaced, feeling the full length of out spines.
3. Lifting one foot: foot circles in one direction and then the other; lower leg circles in one direction and then the other. Waggle fingers. Wrist circles in one direction and then the other. Shoulder shrugs. Shoulder rolls forward and back.
4. Seated cat and cow (spinal flexion and extension)
5. Crossing one leg over the other, with the knee out to the side, this is an excellent hip opener. Pull the toes front of the leg to align the knee then lean forward, possibly pressing the knee open a bit.This may be enough or lean over more until your hands come tot he floor. Drop your chin towards your chest and breath. Put hands to the hips and sit up feeling your long spine. Switch sides.
6. Sitting sideways on the chair, to the right side. Right hand grips the top-back of the chair to pull, left hands grips the side-back of the chair to push. gently twist towards the back of the chair, keeping hips down and feet flat on the floor. The left knee might move out forward past the right. This is fine. Twists should be done with gentle energy, rest and then twist some more-always breathing. Relax twist and switch sides.
7. Standing now at the back of the chair-we did a modified chair sun salutation:
a. Mountain pose
b. Up mountain, let head drop back and gaze at hands; only if this feels good to your neck (breathe in)
c. Step left foot back (breathe out) far enough to create a lunge (right knee can be as close to a right angle as comfortable). Arms up (Warrior I) (breathe in and out a few times)
d. Step left foot forward (breathe in) and drape over chair (maybe hands on seat) for a supported forward bend (breathe out and in a few times. Breath in)
e. Step right foot back (breathe out) far enough to create a lunge (left knee can be as close to a right angle as comfortable). Arms up (Warrior I) (breathe in and out a few times. Breathe in)
f. Step forward (breathe out) but have feet hip width apart and be able to lean forward with hands on the back of a chair so that you create a right angle at the hips (chair downward facing dog pose) (breathe on and out a few times).
g. Breathe in- Come up to standing- up mountain
h. Breathe out-mountain pose.
8. Standing poses with the chair for stability: modified dancer to full dancer; tree
9. Sit once again. Head on hands folded on desk. One minute of stillness and relaxation. Remember the intentions and go forth into the day buoyed by your intentions.
Thank you and namaste!